Author Q&A: Jayne Pupek


In a few weeks my book group will be meeting with Jayne Pupek, to discuss her novel 'Tomato Girl. This is a well written, complicated story about a dysfunctional family, told from the voice of a ten year old girl. In preparation for our discussion, Jane answered a few "getting to know you" questions for us:

Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a Virginia native, married with three children, and a former social worker. Tomato Girl is my first novel. I'm also the author of a book of poems titled Forms of Intercession.

Do you write daily? Yes, I do. I rarely miss a day. As soon as I finish my first cup of coffee, I'm usually off to the computer. A lot of writing is re-writing, so sometimes I'm working on a passage I've written. Other times, I work on something new.

Are you working on a new book or have an idea for one? I'm putting the finishing touches on another novel now, but I don't like to talk about works in progress. To me, talking about a work that isn't complete is akin to opening the oven door while the cake is baking. Too much of it ruins the effort.

What do you think of the electronic book (kindles and such)? I don't own a kindle, so I can't really say whether I like it or not. I enjoy the feel of a real book, and yet I can see some advantages to an electronic one. Space can be a big issue for a booklover, so it might be nice to keep some books on a device instead of adding one more bookshelf to the house. Also, for travel, I believe a kindle would be a lot easier than lugging around four or five hardbound books. What is one tip that you can share with aspiring writers? I believe anyone who wants to write can write. The most important tip is simply to show up and write. Talking about writing is not writing. Researching a topic is not writing. Reading books is not writing. Those may be important things, but often they can be simply ways to avoid the blank page.

What are you reading now? I'm currently reading Richard Yates' Revolutionary Road and look forward to seeing the film adaptation.

Lastly, share one or two of your all time favorite novels read, excluding classics:
I prefer poetry to fiction, so if I had to choose my very favorite book, it would be Ariel by Sylvia Plath. In terms of fiction, I think Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee is brilliant.

2 comments

  1. Jayne Pupek is a member of goodreads.com. I sent her a friend request. I told her that I had just finished the book, enjoyed it very much and was looking forward to talking to her. We'll see how long it takes her to respond--we may have talked to her before I ever hear back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this book and am happy to hear you will be interviewing the author.

    Can you ask her how she came up with the plot? I haven't read anything like this before, so realistic... with a twist of creep (if that is a phrase).

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Mari Partyka | Bookworm with a View. Design by Fearne.