Guest Review: The Drowning People


Guest review by Lisa

Richard Mason began writing The Drowning People at the age of 18. He is now 30, with a healthy respect for PSYCHOTROPIC MEDICATION and significant responsibility for 51 KIDS. Fortunately I share this responsibility with SEVERAL EXTRAORDINARY INDIVIDUALS.

The story opens with the narrator admitting that he has killed his wife and no one suspects it. The rest of the book is the explanation as to why he has done it. The reader is taken back to the time when the narrator is an aspiring 17-year-old violin student and first meets Ella, a member of the British aristocracy. It is the story of love, friendship, betrayal and revenge. The book could have been forty pages shorter and not lost a thing but it does pull the reader into the tale. Mason paint vivid pictures and fills out his characters. Know going in that this is a depressing book but it has twist I did not see coming and it kept me reading as I tried to figure out the characters' motivations.

Last April, Richard Mason gave an extremely personal interview to The Mail:

I was watching Little Voice in a Parisian cinema, when I had my first panic attack. I was 21 and the film, about the perils of youthful success, wasn’t a good choice for someone in my state of mind. When the credits began to roll, I found I couldn’t move.

I couldn’t move when the lights went up, or when the theatre cleared, or when the lights went up, or when the theatre cleared, or when the ushers
came in to sweep up the popcorn. Told coldly that I could remain only if I bought a new ticket, I eventually managed to stand…
Click here to read the full article

For more interviews, Click here

Type: Fiction, 400 pages, Trade paperback

Synopsis: The Drowning People was my attempt to tell the story of a man’s life backwards, from the age of 70, in his own words. It’s a book about consequences and family secrets, and the crazy things you do the first time you fall in love.

Reviews:
BN.COM Review: Hypnotic, passionate, disturbing, and dark, "The Drowning People" is a must-read. This book is a Master Class in the art of atmosphere, foreshadowing, and character development. The story itself is nothing extraordinary-- but the way it's written will grab you and never let you go. Read it, read it, read it.

BN.COM Review: story is simply entrancing! I could not put this book down!! Persuasive and forceful literature.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Mari Partyka | Bookworm with a View. Design by Fearne.