SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The Postmistress

I keep seeing this book everywhere I turn, maybe it's the cover has catches my eye (it's an interesting cover).  I decided to bring Sarah Blake's novel The Postmistress with me on a recent vacation after a friend recommended the book and let me read her copy.  Historical fiction happens to be one of my favorite genres so I was excited to read this one.

Synopsis: What would happen if someone did the unthinkable-and didn't deliver a letter? Filled with stunning parallels to today, The Postmistress is a sweeping novel about the loss of innocence of two extraordinary women-and of two countries torn apart by war.

Type: Fiction, 326 pages, Hardcover 

Quick Take: Recommend - This story is told from the voices of three women, a reporter, a young wife and expecting mother, and the new postmistress.  Their story intertwines over a year's time during the war.  It's beautifully written, with wonderful descriptions making the reader feel like they are part of the story.  

Overall I really enjoyed the historical aspects of the story.  As several others have mentioned I was hooked with the opening only to find that the story isn't really about the postmistress which confused me a bit.  The author does add fictional elements to help tell the story, for example the recording device has not yet been invented during the time frame for the story - I wouldn't have known this so without the footnote but it did make me feel better knowing this was cited (trusting other historical references).  Some characters were more developed than others and as mentioned before it's important to note that the postmistress is a secondary character and not in the book all that much (similar to The Piano Teacher). 

More Reviews:
- Linus's Blanket

Source: Borrowed from a friend