SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Roses

This book might be the prettiest book I own, if you have seen it you know what I'm talking about.  The cover is beautiful but when you open the cover you are greeted with more flowers - it's stunning. 

Synopsis: Spanning the twentieth century, Roses is the story of the powerful founding families of Howbutker, Texas, and how their histories remain intertwined over the span of three generations.

Cotton tycoon Mary Toliver and timber magnate Percy Warwick fell in love, but because of their stubborn natures and Mary’s devotion to her family’s land, they unwisely never wed. Now they must deal with the deceit, secrets, and tragedies that surround them, and the poignant loss of what might have been—not only for themselves, but also for their family legacies.

Type: Fiction

Quick Take: Recommend - This book is told by a few voices and moves from present day to the past a few times telling Mary Toliver and Percy Warwick's love story and the story of three families (spanning decades).

I thought I would enjoy the present day story the most but Mary's story was my favorite. The sacrifices families endured are important to remember.  I did start to lose interest towards the end, I didn't expect a twist towards the end and there wasn't one.  If I am going to pick on something with this novel I think it's too long.  I curious to read other reviews to see how this is reading for others (I think 150 pages could be cut without impacting the story).

I am happy I read it - I enjoy reading about the past and did learn about a place/time that I knew nothing about.

Source: Review Copy