SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: this one is MINE

This book seems to be making it's way through the book blogging community this spring.  Now that I have read it I need to track back to posts to read some other reviews.

Synopsis: Violet Parry is living the quintessential life of luxury in the Hollywood Hills with David, her rock-and-roll manager husband, and her darling toddler, Dot. She has the perfect life—except that she's deeply unhappy. David expects the world of Violet but gives little of himself in return. When she meets Teddy, a roguish small-time bass player, Violet comes alive, and soon she's risking everything for the chance to find herself again. Also in the picture are David's hilariously high-strung sister, Sally, on the prowl for a successful husband, and Jeremy, the ESPN sportscaster savant who falls into her trap. For all their recklessness, Violet and Sally will discover that David and Jeremy have a few surprises of their own. THIS ONE IS MINE is a compassionate and wickedly funny satire about our need for more—and the often disastrous choices we make in the name of happiness.

Type: Fiction

Quick Take: This one is MINE is a modern day train wreck - think current day Anna Karenina, living in LA. I happen to be reading Anna Karenina now and can see the similarities. 

This wasn't my favorite book and I realize I might sound like a prude but I was really put off with the use of the 'N' word (which was used so many times in this book).  It's mentioned several times in the beginning of the book and I wasn't able to move past this, it left me feeling uncomfortable and worrying about what other off color words would be said.

This book wasn't for me but it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.

Source: Review Copy

Author Q&A:
Tell us a little about yourself:  I'm a former TV writer, turned stay-at-home-mom, turned novelist. I wrote for the shows Mad About You, Suddenly Susan, Ellen, and Arrested Development. My dream was always to become a novelist. After I had my daughter, I didn't want to go back to TV because the hours were too long, so I finally wrote that novel.

Do you write daily? What is your written practice? I try to write five days a week. I drop my daughter off at school, then sit at the computer, try to stay off the internet, and write. I usually get about three hours in. Then, it's errands or exercise, and pick-up. That's when I become a Mom again.

What was it like getting your first novel published?  It was terrific. I have a wonderful editor, a great publishing house, and everyone has been really supportive. You of course dream that being a published novelist will magically transform your existence into one of great ease and wide acclaim, and so when that doesn't happen, it's a big bummer. But I am so happy to have met other terrific novelists at conferences and such. I'm honored to have been welcomed into this new tribe. Very few people know what it's like to work years on a project and then get thrown into the publication process. So we all stick together.

What do you think of the electronic book (kindles and such)? I don't have one. I love the feeling of a book in my hand. I don't see the need to improve on the format.

What are you reading now?  UNION ATLANTIC by Adam Haslett. I'm on page fifty and really liking it.