SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: My Name is Mary Sutter

I started reading this book on a plane last weekend and it became a conversation starter with the gal sitting next to me.  She and I ended up talking for the next two hours and I promised to send her my copy so she can read it when I'm done. 

Jan is a special woman, enlisting in the Air Force in her late thirties, she is a nurse (taking care of the wounded, getting them safely to the hospital in Germany) who is getting ready to retire in the fall.  She returned from ten months in Irag last year and has been on over five 'tours'.  I'm so honored to have met her, she inspires me to be a better person.

Synopsis: In this stunning first novel, Mary Sutter is a brilliant, head­strong midwife from Albany, New York, who dreams of becoming a surgeon. Determined to overcome the prejudices against women in medicine-and eager to run away from her recent heartbreak- Mary leaves home and travels to Washington, D.C. to help tend the legions of Civil War wounded. Under the guidance of William Stipp and James Blevens-two surgeons who fall unwittingly in love with Mary's courage, will, and stubbornness in the face of suffering-and resisting her mother's pleas to return home to help with the birth of her twin sister's baby, Mary pursues her medical career in the desperately overwhelmed hospitals of the capital.

Type: Historical Fiction, 384 pages, Hardcover

Quick Take: Highly Recommend - I'm so happy I read this book, it's just that simple.  About half way through the book the plot thickens and carries you to the end of the novel.  I loved the end but also wanted more, I wasn't ready to stop reading Mary's story.  If you enjoy historical fiction you will love this book.

This is one of my favorite books read in 2010.

More Reviews:
Author Exposure

Source: Review Copy