SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Red Hook Road

I first read about this book last spring, it's the one book I was waiting to read this summer.  I'm reading this for EW's Summer Reading Challenge.  I think this is the only book I will read from the list - I did start one of the books last winter but decided not to finish it after reading about 70% of the book... the book is getting good reviews, just not the type of book that holds my interest.
 
Synopsis: Set on the coast of Maine over the course of four summers, Red Hook Road tells the story of two families, the Tetherlys and the Copakens, and of the ways in which their lives are unraveled and stitched together by misfortune, by good intentions and failure, and by love and calamity.

A marriage collapses under the strain of a daughter's death; two bereaved siblings find comfort in one another; and an adopted young girl breathes new life into her family with her prodigious talent for the violin.

Quick Take: I'm nuetral on this book.  I didn't hate it, didn't love it.  The biggest struggle for me was that I didn't care what happened to the characters other than the grandfather.

This book is a brief look into the lives of two grieving families over four summers (June/July for 4 years).  I'm not sure what I expected, rereading the synopsis... this is exactly what I got.  I just wish I connected to a character or two (there are a lot of characters in the book). 

It is a very well written and crafted story - exploring grief in detail. My family talks about everything which might have played a role in the novel, for me.  I can't imagine not talking about what I'm feeling, crying it out, hugging and wanted to know what others are feeling.  Finding a way to make it better for everyone and survive each day as a family.  I'm not disappointed in reading this book, I'm just left unsettled.

Have you read it?  Am I missing something? 

Source: Audio Book (itunes)