SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Safe Haven

Why I picked it:  I had read just one book by Sparks until this year and am shocked to confess Safe Haven is the third Sparks novel for me in 2010.  I like to read the book before seeing the movie so last winter I read two Sparks novels back to back.  I really enjoyed The Last Song (the movie was good) and decided not to see Dear John after reading the book (I didn't love this book).

Synopsis: When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family.

But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

Quick Take: This is not your typical Sparks novel.  It felt like I was reading a cross between Sleeping with the Enemy and Kindergarten Cop.  I enjoyed the book but it felt odd reading reading something with suspense from Sparks.  That said, who am I to say a writer can't try something different, expand your horizons.... 

That's about all I have to say for this book (didn't love it, didn't hate it).

Have you read it? 

Source: Review Copy