SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The Art of Mending

Why I picked it: I have read most of the books written by this author, so when I saw this title on the shelf at the library (and I haven't read it yet) I decided to pick it up.  I think I might have the book upstairs on a bookshelf.

Synopsis: It begins with the sudden revelation of astonishing secrets—secrets that have shaped the personalities and fates of three siblings, and now threaten to tear them apart. Unearthed truths force one seemingly ordinary family to reexamine their disparate lives and to ask themselves: Is it too late to mend the hurts of the past?

Laura Bartone anticipates her annual family reunion in Minnesota with a mixture of excitement and wariness. Yet this year’s gathering will prove to be much more trying than either she or her siblings imagined. As soon as she arrives, Laura realizes that something is not right with her sister. Forever wrapped up in events of long ago, Caroline is the family’s restless black sheep. When Caroline confronts Laura and their brother, Steve, with devastating allegations about their mother, the three have a difficult time reconciling their varying experiences in the same house. But a sudden misfortune will lead them all to face the past, their own culpability, and their common need for love and forgiveness.

Type: Fiction

Quick Take: Let me say that I have read several of Berg's books and I enjoy her novels.  I didn't love this one.  I felt the book was missing something, maybe the secret needed to come out with more of a 'bang'.  That said, the story unfolds like it would in real life - someone struggling with something that took place over years would probably share a secret a little bit at a time. 

I was satisfied at the end of the story.

Source: Library (audio)