SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: A Visit from the Goon Squad

Why I picked it: Winner of the Pulitzer for Fiction, 2011.  The Omaha Bookworm's read Pulitzer every year, well almost always... 

Synopsis: Bennie is an aging former punk rocker and record executive. Sasha is the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Here Jennifer Egan brilliantly reveals their pasts, along with the inner lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs. With music pulsing on every page, A Visit from the Goon Squad is a startling, exhilarating novel of self-destruction and redemption.

Type: Fiction

Quick Take: Have you read this book? I would love for you to share your comments and challenge me to rethink my opinion. I sorry to report that I struggled to appreciate this novel, and am left wondering if my experience would have been different if I read the book (rather than listening).

I wasn't invested in the characters but kept listening in hopes that something big would happen at the end.

The best part of the entire book was when the fish was left in Bennie's office... it's hard for me to review this book without thinking about the other books on the short list. I would like to hear from the judges to understand why the picked it.

Rating: 2/5 stars
Source: Audio (iTunes)