SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The last letter from your lover

Why I picked it: The synopsis below grabbed me.  I love the idea of a mysterious letter mixed with a love story.  Hopefully a complicated love story.

Synopsis: It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

Type: Historical Fiction

Quick Take: I have mentioned this a few times but 2011 is the year of memory loss journey's in women's fiction - this is one of the better novels I have read this year with memory loss involved in plot.

I loved the concept, Ellie is in a car accident and has no memory of the accident... or of the man visiting her in the hospital.  This man is her husband.  It's clear that she feels a coldness from him and this is confirmed when she starts finding secrets letters in her home, signed 'B'.

This novel moves back and forth in time, I adored the story taking place in 1960.  Part two, starting in 2003, feels like a different novel but somehow it all worked for me.  If you enjoyed the movie 'Titanic', I think you will love Ellie's story.

Brilliantly written, my heart broke for Ellie, her husband and everyone involved. This would make for a great book club selection.

Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: NetGalley