SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Spin

Why I picked it: The cover grabbed my attention, the synopsis kept it. 

While I was reading this book I noticed that Judith (Leeswammes Blog) mentioned she was planning to read it soon.  We enjoyed discussing Good to a Fault so much that we decided to try again, with Spin.  A great way to read/discuss a book!

Click here to read Judith's review of SPIN, and her answer's to my questions.

Synopsis: Katie Sandford has just gotten an interview at her favourite music magazine, The Line. It's the chance of a lifetime. So what does she do? Goes out to celebrate - and shows up still drunk at the interview. No surprise, she doesn't get the job, but the folks at The Line think she might be perfect for another assignment for their sister gossip rag. All Katie has to do is follow It Girl Amber Sheppard into rehab. If she can get the inside scoop (and complete the 30-day program without getting kicked out), they'll reconsider her for the job at The Line.

Katie takes the job. But things get complicated when real friendships develop, a cute celebrity handler named Henry gets involved, and Katie begins to realize she may be in rehab for a reason. Katie has to make a decision -- is publishing the article worth everything she has to lose?

Type: Fiction

Quick Take: I thought this was going to be a dark tale about treatment but was surprised to find it a girl meets boy, something bad happens and they reconnect story that covers some serious/dark themes, inviting the reader to reflect.

Katie's life is a mess.  At 29 she's lying to everyone, hiding from family, drinking, unhappy with life.  She shows up to a job interview drunk, an action that changes her life.  Her 'dream job' potential employer offers to pay to send her to treatment, not to get better... to get a story. If she does well, they will hire her.

This novel asks the reader to think about being faithful, trust, addiction, alcoholism & eating disorders, friendship and family. Here are a few of the bookmarks I made while reading (in my words):

- being a novelist.... my book was going to be about a woman struggling to stay faithful, after 30 pages I realized I knew nothing about faithful love.
- on addiction... being stuck in a pattern you can't get out of because it would mean making a sacrifice.
- A writing exercise while in treatment... can I really just write the worst of me away?  I'll never know unless I try...

Let's get to the questions:

Judith: Did you think a lot of the situations in the book were unlikely?  Did that bother you?

Mari: Much of the daily stuff probably couldn't/wouldn't happen in real life... I think rehab is more confining/strict than played out in this novel.  This is one of those books were I found myself saying, 'remember it's fiction'. 

Katie's parents are absent from her life... I actually know a few parents who have chosen not to keep in contact with their adult children so the parent/child storyline didn't bother me. 

Judith: Do you think Kate actually needed to go to rehab?

Mari: I don't think someone has to be an 'out of control drunk' to need treatment. Reflecting back on Katie's life, she was headed in a bad direction and treatment was probably necessary for her reclaim her life.  Especially since her friends/family didn't seem all that interested in helping her. 

Judith: Do you think a friendship with a superstar is possible? Or are their lives too different?

Mari: Well... anything is possible.  I think the question is, would Amber (superstar) be willing to befriend Katie.  Seeing some of my friends and their love for celebrity... they would grab at the chance to become someone's best friend. 

Looking year/two beyond the novel, I don't think Katie and Amber remain good friends.  Their friendship is based on circumstance (and that's okay).

Thanks Judith!  I enjoyed this novel and getting to discuss it with you. I love it when a book makes me think and this one did just that. I don't know about you but I would love to write the worst of me away... I wish I could write the worst of other people away! If only it was that easy...

I didn't write about the 'Girl meets Boy' part of the book ...but it's there, I promise!

Rating: 4 stars
Source: NetGalley