SOCIAL MEDIA

Below are the books I read in May (and April but didn't review).

In addition to the books below, I have plowed through the 50 Shades trilogy.  What can I say about these books?  While horribly written, I was curious what all the buzz was about.  Completely over the top and unnecessary at times but if you enjoy this genre you will probably love them.  I know the movie rights were sold for five million dollars and wonder who will play Christian and Anastasia.  The casting will make or break the movie experience.
Arranged (May 15):  In her fast-paced and fun second novel, Catherine McKenzie takes us on a thirty-something woman's journey to find love in a somewhat unorthodox manner.

Quick Take: I loved this book.  It has a few twists that kept me engrossed in the story and wondering what would happen.  The perfect summer read!

McKenzie is one of my new favorite authors - I can't wait for her next novel to be released in the US, Forgotten.

Rating: 4 stars

The Book of Summers (May 29): A young woman confronts her magical, tragic past when she receives a scrapbook of the summers spent with her estranged mother.

Quick Take: Can you forgive someone who doesn't want to be forgiven?  Someone with no regrets about leaving a family, choosing the pull of a home town/country over parenting?

The was a tough book for me to read. I ended up skimming parts of it, it's just too close to some of my childhood memories but it's powerful and emotional.

Putting my personal issues aside, this would make for a nice summer read. It's well written, strong plot, and let's the reader explore another country.

Rating: DNF (I did skim to the end to see what happened)

Purge: A breathtakingly suspenseful tale of two women dogged by their own shameful pasts and the dark, unspoken history that binds them.

Quick Take: This was my book selection for my book club.  It's safe to say that none of us enjoyed it.  I'm not sure if it's the writing style (choppy, moving backwards and forwards) but something didn't sit right. 

I walked away without the answers I was hoping for.

Rating: 2 stars

The Unfinished work of Elizabeth D (Jun 5):  Before there were blogs, there were journals. And in them we’d write as we really were, not as we wanted to appear. But there comes a day when journals outlive us. And with them, our secrets.

Quick Take: Unfortunately this is another book that I didn't love.  It moved too slow for me.  Having friends and family die from terminal illness... I wasn't able to believe Elizabeth's story/decisions.  It was a little far fetched for me.

Rating: 2/3 stars

Have you read any of these books?  Are you reading anything good that I should add to my list?