SOCIAL MEDIA

A good month for me with six book reviews, spanning four genres (self-discovery, YA, historical fiction, and chick-lit).

Being on vacation provided time... to relax, to read.

I'm reading a lot of non-fiction travel books/essays, cookbooks, and self discovery genres while mixing in fiction and my favorite... personal memoirs!  I never know when to share self-discovery books but here's one I'm currently listening to that's worth mentioning:

The Art of Power:  A book given to me a months ago.  The content isn't new but it's always good to reflect on what's important (live an honest, morally sound life).  I just happened to be listening to the chapter on 'being mindful' while on a walk. Honest... I just snapped this photo when the 'be mindful' chapter started!

I take a photo every day when I'm outside, with the intention to find beauty in my surroundings.  This is important when you walk the same path daily!

Have you read any of these titles?  A few misses and a few wonderful reads to share.

January:


Love 2.0: I loved this book! I’m of the belief that relationships (of all kinds) require effort to keep them healthy, alive, and growing. I like to reach out, connect with people to see how they are doing, a quick update from time to time.  I shed a tear after realizing WT and I are doing the right stuff to feed our family with love.

I bought a copy for a friend who is at a cross road in life, it's important for each of us to pause and revisit 'how to love'.  It requires nurturing, and isn't a given.  This book is a refresher on what love is and isn't, with a message that it's up to each of us to find ways to nourish/fill ourselves with love.

Knowledge bytes:

-  Like babies, we are all designed to thrive on love, it's a vital nutrient
-  Bonds last, love doesn't
-  Fill your days with micro-moments
-  Fill in the blank: "if only I were____" (more organized, smarter, etc).  We train ourselves to withhold love, until meeting unspoken preconditions and love never flows.
-  Opportunities for love abound.  It's up to you to nourish yourself with them.
-  End of each chapter has a nice summary and exercises

My Goodreads rating: 5 stars

Delirium: A surprising choice for me ($3 nook read).  I actually enjoyed this book and am happy to have tried YA again.  

Synopsis: 95 days, and then I'll be safe.  I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with, it's hard to be patient.  So far the deliria hasn't touched me. 

My goodreads rating: 4 stars



The Perks of being a Wallflower: An odd book.  I can’t see recommending to anyone but there is a lot to discuss! I am curious to hear someone talk about the book vs the movie. There’s so much in the book that can’t be captured on film.

As with most book club selections, I tend to like the book more after discussing it. The MMBC enjoyed this book and we had a great discussion, for the better part of an hour (be aware there is a lot of sexual content). Have you read this book? Thoughts?

Synopsis: A novel about a withdrawn teem who attempts to remain hopeful for the future while dreading every day of the present. 

My goodreads rating: 3 stars, possibly 4 after talking about it.  

The Purple Shroud: This is the sequel to Theodora, one of my favorite novels read in recent years.  The writing is stunning, I couldn't put this book down and was so happy I held off reading it until I had time to dedicate to the book.

Synopsis: Theodora is at the height of her power, bringing the ancient world alive in another unforgettable, epic saga. 

My goodreads rating: 4 stars


December:

The Edible WomanA good friend gave this to me to read, saying her really enjoyed it when she read it years ago.  I didn't enjoy the main character at all, which made this one a struggle.  This is my second Atwood novel that I didn't like so I think it’s time to move on. The first book I read I didn't finish (The Year of the Flood).

Synopsis: Marian has a problem.  A willing member of the consumer society in which she lives, she suddenly finds herself identifying with the things being consumed.

My goodreads rating: 2 stars

The Song Remains the Same: Memory is a theme I’m seeing over and over.  This is a new twist on memory loss.  A good story for vacation, or a weekend read (I read this on a road trip).  The plot moves along nicely, keeping the reading wondering what will happen. 

Synopsis: Nell wakes in the hospital with no memory of the horrific experience-or who she is, or was.

My goodreads rating: 3 stars