SOCIAL MEDIA

Book Review: Big Brother

Why I picked it: I don't read every novel written by Shriver but I try to.

Synopsis: When Pandora picks up her older brother Edison at her local Iowa airport, she literally doesn't recognize him. In the four years since the siblings last saw one another, the once slim, hip New York jazz pianist has gained hundreds of pounds. What happened?

And it's not just the weight. After his brother-in-law has more than overstayed his welcome, Pandora's husband, Fletcher, delivers an ultimatum: it's him or me. Putting her marriage and her adopted family on the line, Pandora chooses her brother—who without her support in losing weight, will surely eat himself into an early grave.

Quick Take: I bought this book months ago, as a new release, but didn't get the time to sit and read it until recently.

The plot moves at a steady pace.  While reading it there were times when I thought I should put the book down for a few days, but looking back it's really grown on me.  It's a memorable book.

If you have read it, did you like Pandora?  I struggled with her, her solutions/reactions.  I wonder how much of this is due to her family situation, her brother yes but more importantly her father's role in their lives. I also found her husband to be an interesting character in the book, his focus on fitness but the attachment to chairs and their significance to the plot.

It's hard to discuss without spoiling it for you.  I can tell you that the story twists and ends dramatically. The ending is satisfying!

Would I recommend this book to book clubs? I would love to discuss this book, pick it apart with book club.  There is a lot to discuss that I can't share without including spoilers.  The author is an amazing writer and weaves in subtle yet important/plot movers to help tell the story.

Rating: 4 stars
Source: Personal copy