Book talk: Books I can't wait to read

Good morning friends,

I hope everyone is finding a way to stay warm... the cold snap is almost over.  We have a wind storm today and thankfully I have no plans to leave the house.  I might even stay in my comfy's all day.

I have mentioned it already but I'm super excited to read Niffenegger's sequel to The Time Traveler's Wife. Sadly I expect I will be waiting for a while, the book doesn't even have a name yet... or a pub date.

My must read list is growing at rapid speed - by about a dozen after reading everyone's favorite books from 2013.

Here are the books I put on my list after reading yours!

The Dinner: Over one meal, two families struggle with the hardest decision of their lives. On an Amsterdam summer evening, two couples are united by their sons, aged 15, their horrific joint deed. Behind banal polite discourse in a restaurant, knives are sharpened, friendship disintegrates. How far will adults go to protect those they love?

(discovered on Bibliophile by the Sea)

Left: Therese Wolley is a mother who has made a promise. She works as a secretary, shops for groceries on Saturdays, and takes care of her two girls. She doesn t dwell on the fact that her girls are fatherless, mostly because her own father abandoned her before she was born and she has done just fine without him.Even though her older daughter regularly wakes with nightmares and her younger one whispers letters under her breath, she doesn t shift from her resolve that everything will be fine. She promises . . . and they believe.

Until the morning an obituary in the newspaper changes everything. Therese immediately knows what she has to do. She cannot delay what she has planned, and she cannot find the words to explain her heartbreaking decision to her daughters. She considers her responsibilities, her girls, and her promise. Then she does the only thing that any real mother would do. She goes on the run with one daughter . . . and abandons the other.

Left is told from the perspectives of Franny, the autistic sister who is left behind; Matilda, the troubled older sister who vows to go back and save her; and Therese, a mother on the run.

(discovered on Book'd Out

Girl Child: Rory Hendrix is the least likely of Girl Scouts. She hasn’t got a troop or even a badge to call her own. But she’s checked the Handbook out from the elementary school library so many times that her name fills all the lines on the card, and she pores over its surreal advice (Uniforms, disposing of outgrown; The Right Use of Your Body; Finding Your Way When Lost) for tips to get off the Calle: that is, the Calle de las Flores, the Reno trailer park where she lives with her mother, Jo, the sweet-faced, hard-luck bartender at the Truck Stop.

Rory’s been told that she is one of the “third-generation bastards surely on the road to whoredom.” But she’s determined to prove the county and her own family wrong. Brash, sassy, vulnerable, wise, and terrified, she struggles with her mother’s habit of trusting the wrong men, and the mixed blessing of being too smart for her own good. From diary entries, social workers’ reports, half-recalled memories, arrest records, family lore, Supreme Court opinions, and her grandmother’s letters, Rory crafts a devastating collage that shows us her world even as she searches for the way out of it.

(discovered on Zola Books)

I have also added the following titles:
The Kept: a novel (Scott), discovered on Leeswammes' blog
Wave (Deraniyagala)
Life after Life: a novel (McCorkle)
Clever Girl (Hadley)
Margot (Cantor)
Reconstructing Amelia (McCreight)

Some of these recommendations are gathered from author's I adore and follow (Andrew McCarthy, Liz Gilbert).  It's fun to see what they are reading and adding to their 2013 top three read lists, almost all of these books were new titles for me.

Have you read any of these books? What have you added to your must read list?

~ happy reading xoxo

5 comments

  1. Hope you enjoy Koch's The Dinner - it is shocklingly good I though with detestable characters all around:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when its freezing I always find an excuse to leave the house. I wish I would just... not. :) I think I have the Dinner somewhere... I should find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dinner is fabulous. You're sure to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued by Girl Child...addy it to my wishlist,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so out of the loop, I didn't know there was a sequel to The Time Traveler's Wife - I'm intrigued! Also, I really like the sound of Left.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Mari Partyka | Bookworm with a View. Design by Fearne.