Books: how crafty are you?

{source: purl soho}
It's snowing here today, making it a lovely day to enjoy a cup of tea and research a few projects. One click led to another lovely blog/website, and next thing I knew an hour had past and my tea cup was empty.

While clicking away, I found a few items to add to my list and bought the yarn to make these adorable socks.

What are you making this winter?
Dreaming to make?

The books below have stunning covers that inspire me to be creative. Do you own any of these books, or have any suggestions/go-to books I should add to my collection?

~ :: :: :: :: :: ~ :: :: :: :: :: ~ :: :: :: :: :: ~ :: :: :: :: :: ~ :: :: :: :: :: ~ :: :: :: :: :: ~ :: :: :: :: :: ~

More Last minute Knitted Gifts: an elegant collection of 30 projects organized according to the time it takes to complete them, from less than two hours to more than eight. Among the projects featured are sachets, bracelets, ornaments, mittens, gloves, hats, sweaters, baby blankets, and throws.

Understanding that knitters today love to personalize their projects but also need guidance along the way, Hoverson showcases many of the projects in several colors and yarn weights, and with optional embellishments and creative ideas for gift-wrapping.

Adventures in Yarn Farming: A knitting book focusing on the sheep-to-shawl process by a well-known knitter, shepherd, and artisanal yarn producer. Gain an insider's view on fiber farming and yarn craft, from sheep to skein, all told through the eyes of shepherd and textile artisan Barbara Parry. 

Follow her flock over the course of a year and discover all the facets of life with sheep: from shearing day and lambing season, to preparing fiber for yarn. Along the way you'll find projects for the fiber obsessed by top knitwear designers, essays on country life, and over 100 stunning photographs. 

All Sewn Up: Choose from 35 retro-inspired ideas using beautiful appliqué, embellishments, and decorative stitches

Make something for every room in the house, from a tea cozy for the kitchen to a bejeweled bird hanging for the living room

All the projects come with clear step-by-step instructions, plus there's a handy section on techniques that will teach you all the basic stitches required

Crochet! technique, stitches, patterns: Forget about outdated designs: Crochet! is all about cutting-edge needlework.  

These sophisticated handmade masterpieces-all in wools, silks, cottons, bamboo, and microfibers-range from dresses and cover-ups to accessories, home décor items, and toys. Eighty classic and fanciful stitches provide plenty of inspiration for crocheters of all levels, while 20 patterns-each with a photo of the finished project-round out this updated and comprehensive course.

50 Fabric Animals: With dozens of animal-themed projects, including appliqué and embroidery ideas, this workbook is the perfect source for crafters looking to spruce up their home, clothes, and everyday accessories. The wide swath of projects include a classic teddy bear, an owl mobile phone pouch, and a child’s bear-designed coat as well as inspiring ideas for a key ring, purse, scarf, and a baby’s quilt. Each project is accompanied by easy-to-follow instructions and full pattern templates and detailed photographs ensure the success of each project. Beginners and more experienced stitchers won't be able to resist making these imaginative and charming creatures.

The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: Try a fresh, relaxed approach to making quilts with this new "go-to" book. The bright aesthetic and clear, simple instructions guide beginners and intermediates alike through the entire process of creating fun and useful quilts that they'll be proud to call their own.

Explore different options for each project-make it with just two colors or scrappy, make it vintage or mod, make it soft or playful. Alternate colorways included with each project show you how swapping out fabrics can change the look of the same block.

3 comments

  1. I love the socks. I started quilting because I was a horrible knitter. Socks would be totally beyond me. I don't do well with anything that has to fit at the end of the process. LOL.

    I have another of Elizabeth Hartman's books and love her blog. She makes great quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is why I like making blankets and scarfs so much, no pattern or sizing needed. I love your quilts, not sure if I will ever be able to make one but a gal can dream. ps: I will google Hartman's blog and check it out. Thanks for sharing ~ xoxo

      Delete
  2. I LOVE purl soho! I have the first book but am not good enough to attempt any patterns. I could spend all day looking at that site. If I ever make it to New York, I'm going to make a special trip to the shop. They'll probably kick me out.... for drooling on the yarn. Right now, I'm making a Hello Kitty hat for my daughter. I'll post a picture when it's done.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Mari Partyka | Bookworm with a View. Design by Fearne.